Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
From Vegetarian Times
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
1 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup vegan milk (I used unsweetened coconut)
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla or 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
3-4 TBSP vegan milk or water, or more as needed (I used soy milk creamer)
Optional garnish: fresh mint sprigs!
- For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper liners. (I actually got 15 cupcakes out of this, so I used a 2nd pan.)
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Puree avocado in food processor until smooth. Add maple syrup, milk, oil, and vanilla and blend until creamy. Whisk into flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake cups. Bake 25 mins. or until toothpick inserted into center comes out with some crumbs attached. (Mine were done at 21 mins.) Cool.
- For the frosting: With an electric hand mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the confectioners' sugar, and cream for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cocoa, vanilla, and milk, and turn the mixer to high speed once all the ingredients are relatively well combined. Beat on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add 1-2 more TBSP of milk if it's too dry.
- Spread over cooled cupcakes, and store any extra in the fridge for whenever you need a little chocolate frosting in your life!
- Add optional garnish and chow down!